I love all kinds of music and I love things relating to most types of music from Country to Irish Trad to Clasical

The Nicky Kealy Christmas show in the seven oaks Carlow.

Christmas is coming apon us once again and this year I am delighted to be hosting my very first Nicky Kealy Christmas show here at the Seven Oaks hotel Carlow on Friday 7th of December.

Appearing with me on the night will be Louise Morrissey, The Benn Sisters, local priest Fr Liam Morgan, John Kelly, Padraig Darcy and current Glor Tire contestant Adrian Ryan.

Doors open at 7:30 with the show kicking off at 8:00. All ticket enquiries can be made to the hotel or through this website. As I am a Guide Dog owner and have been a supporter of Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind for many years, I am having a raffle on the night with lots of great prizes for the festive season. All proceeds from this raffle will go to Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind.

Leinster Entertainment Awards

Its been a little while since I wrote in here but musically there hasn’t been too much to tell you all about. I have been busy working on different things and in ways not getting far, or as far as I would like but, at the minute I think I can finally say things are starting to take shape.

A few weeks back I got a call from Liam Kett who presents a show on Kfm which is a radio station in Kildare to tell me that I had been chosen to receive an award at the Leinster Entertainment Awards. I was surprised and delighted at this news. I had heard that the awards were taking place but didn’t know much about them. This is only the second year that they have been running so they must have just slipped me by last time round. The awards were to be held on Monday last the 16th so I selected the songs that I wanted to perform on the night and got myself ready for the big day.

Last week was a nice busy music filled week here in Carlow with the Pan-Celtic festival taking place in the town. This festival is made up of all the different celtic regions coming together for a week to play music and dance and show off their different traditions. Find out about this years festival which has just ended by visiting the Pan-Celtic website and it will probably explain it all much better than I will.

Anyway, Darragh, who you will have heard me mention here before decided to come down on Saturday to play a few tunes and join in some of the sessions that were taking place in some of the pubs in the town. Jennifer was coming for the weekend and so it worked out nice that they could travel together on the train to Carlow. We left him get more or less straight to the music when he got here and spent a while chatting and took ourselves to a local Indian restaurant where we had a nice meal and then went in search of him afterwards and enjoyed listening to a session he was playing in. More tunes had to be played in another part of the country so it was up early enough for Darragh on Sunday morning and we just relaxed for the rest of the day and spent some of it with my family before going to see the Hunger Games in the cinema on Sunday evening. Both of us read the book and are now on the second book of the three in the series. Jennifer kindly came with me to see it as she had already taken her nephew Jack to see it in Derry about two weeks ago. It was nice to get to see it but I do prefer the book and some of the characters were not how I would have imagined them to be played.

Monday was like any other day really except I was not working and Jennifer was still here. I remember her commenting to me that she had been talking to someone on the phone and they wanted to know was I excited about the awards and she told them I was “so laid back you’de think that nothing was happening at all that evening”. Well, I wasn’t thinking about it all too much but yes, of course I was very pleased about it all but slightly nervous also. This was the first time that Jennifer actually came to a live gig with me that I was performing at so I was hoping she would enjoy it.

I think that I was number 8 to perform and the audiance were superb. Liam had asked me to consider singing Noreen Bawn as he really liked my version of it for Glor Tire. I was totally surprised and really happy when the audiance stood for me at the end of the performance and having been only asked to originally sing two songs I was asked to finish off with one more. It really was a brilliant night and there are some pictures on my Facebook page for anyone to see. I am glad to report that Jennifer did enjoy herself and it was fantastic to have her there with me. She is, and always has been very supportive to me during our time together in all I do where my music is concerned. I would also like to just thank the organisers of the Leinster Entertainment Awards for putting on a great show and considering me for “male vocalist of the year”. It really was an honour for me to be able to accept the award.

A very much musical start to the month of March

It must have been November or maybe a little earlier that the exciting news came through that Bruce Springsteen would be coming to play in Ireland in the Summer. I think that when I had heard about it dates hadn’t been confirmed but I knew that I wanted to go and see him. I had wanted to go before and I couldn’t just get to go at the time. I have never seen him live before and I knew that this time I wasn’t going to let the chance go by. Also, Jennifer is a big fan so we discussed it and I told her that I was going to make sure and keep an eye out and I had already arranged for my brothers wife to get them as my brother has always been a huge fan and the four of us would go together. The tickets finally went on sale on the 1st of December and the first show sold out in minutes. They then added a second show and we got tickets for that and we will be heading to see him at the RDS on the 18th of July. I’ll never forget ringing up Jennifer that morning to confirm that I had the tickets. She was delighted and immediately started blasting out Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Bruce’s version of course) down the phone at me. I am sure that we are going to have a great time at that concert. I am looking forward to it and I am starting to hear of more and more people that I know going also so I am bound to bump into someone that I know there. Anyway… to bring all of this up-to-date as far as this weekend is concerned. The Album Wrecking Ball came out just a few days ago. Having heard quite a bit about it recently and seen some online clips and stuff I was delighted to be able to grab it on Itunes yesterday morning. I have only listened to it twice and am not going to go into too much of what I feel about it here as I am still getting into it but track 5, Death to my Hometown is my favourite so far. I should say that I really like the album for the most part but I wouldn’t consider myself to be a great reviewer. Maybe Jennifer will do a much better job at that than me on her blog. I am sure she will not forget to mention its releace at some point. :)

Listening to the radio sometimes and in particular a show that I wouldn’t usually listen to can sometimes have its rewards. On the Tuesday night just after coming back from the Cruise I was listening to a local station and an ad break came on. I heard, or thought I heard an ad advertising Nanci Griffith to play in Kilkenny on the 3rd of March which was last night. Being sort of half asleep I thought that I must check that out over the next few days and also I wanted to try and get someone to come with me. By the time I had got arrangements made for people to come it was Thursday and there was only two days left to the show. I was sure it would be sold out when I rang the theatre but I was informed that no, there were still seats left.

The show kicked off at 8:00 sharp. Her support group were a husband and wife group called The Kennedys from New York. They were quite good. The husband mostly did backing vocals and the wife did the lead parts which in my opinion worked very well. They talked about their different musical influences and featured for the most part all of their own material which is great cause I had never heard of them before and I love to get the chance to hear new stuff and be surprised by an unknown group like that. They told us stories about different songs and one that stands out was about a song that they wrote after going on one of their first dates. This date happened to involve visiting a grave yard to pay their respects to Buddy Holly. Hmmm, who says all dates have to be of a romantic kind haha. For their last number they wanted to do a tribute to Davy Jones from the Monkees who passed away earlier this week. They sang Daydream Believer and Nanci quietly came out on stage and joined them and sang the song with them to great cheers from the audience.

There was a small break after the Kennedys went off stage and without any fuss or fancy introductions Nanci came out on stage and with a strum of a guitar just immediately started chatting and broke into song. Of course I was looking forward to seeing what she would start off with and it was Speed of the Sound of Loneliness by John Prime. It was delivered slow and steady and she had the crowd in her hands I think from that first number. She chatted in between each song and just made herself at home with us all. The theatre seemed to just lose all of its formality and it was just a really intimate experience for me. Then there came that point in the show when I heard a guitar being tuned down to a certain key. Something in my head just told me what was coming next and then there it was. With the voice sounding a bit strained or aged, she still managed to deliver From a Distance in a very powerful and immotional way. I really love the sentiment of that song. Its strange that when it was written it was rejected by so many people until Nanci was given it and asked her opinion on it. She states that she owes a lot of the success from it to the Irish since it was recorded in 1986. That was followed up with Trouble in the Fields which is another great song of hers and some people will know it from Maura O’connell who Nanci mentioned from the stage. It really was a fantastic night and really just gave me some sort of lift. Hearing good music does that to me. You just get some great feeling. The only way I can describe how I felt after it is to say that it was like being in a dream and not wanting it to end and when she went off the stage for the first time at ten past ten I just couldn’t believe it had got to that time already. I certainly would love to see her again and who knows, maybe I might get to meet her sometime.

Back from the sea

This is really a take 2. I did think I had written a perfectly good post last night and uploaded it up here but I didn’t check it after I had done that and it all was messed up so here goes my second attempt.

It is really high time I wrote on here and let you know whats been happening over the past while. In particular my adventure on the cruise which I blogged about just before I set off on my travels.

Well, it all began later in the early hours of the morning of the 12th of Feburary when my brother in law drove myself and my parents who were accompanying me on the cruise to a local bus stop where we would take a bus to Dublin Airport. I hate all the rushing around and stuff wondering if I had packed everything or was I leaving something behind but thankfully I didn’t leave anything of any great importance behind that I needed. Shur as someone later said to me, once you have the passport and the money and tickets with you nothing else matters and well, that is sort of true for the most part.

Having left Carlow at half 2 in the morning we got to the airport sometime around 10 past 4. For that time in the morning the place was busy enough. From conversations going on around me I think that a lot of people were heading off on skiing holidays. One or two friends have tried to persuade me to go on a skiing holiday before but I am not entirely sure if I would really like it or not. We had to kill some time waiting around for the ckeck-in desks to open at 6:00 so some tea was consumed and we just sat around waiting for the rest of the time. I was also hoping to meet Jennifer as she was going on her travels that morning also to Thailand with her family and she would be returning back to Ireland two days after me. It was just coincidental that our flights were leaving at roughly the same time so we had arranged it so that we would meet for a while at the airport. We checked in and went to get breakfast and I had a little chat with Jennifer and her dad. To read all about her holiday in Thailand why not visit her blog where she has written an account of some of the things that she got up to while she was there.

After two different flights we arrived in Fort Lauderdale in Florida around midnight Irish time Friday night. It was a long days travelling but I was sort of getting a second boost of energy at that stage and so when we got to our hotel and got rid of our cases we went down the road to find somewhere to eat as the buffet in the hotel wasn’t up to much. I was all over the place and didn’t really want anything big to eat but at the same time I was sick of just eating silly things like plane food so I had a burger and a few beers. The beers helped me get a nice sleep afterwards.

Having spent the day just going round the local area on the Saturday and visiting a local shopping centre and managing to buy a pair of headphones and then losing them before I could even get to open them from their packet we eventually boarded the ship on Sunday afternoon. The weather had been mixed since we had arrived in Florida. It was more overcast than we would usually be use too. By Saturday evening it had cooled right down and on Sunday morning we were waring jackets. Luckily for us this was short lived as by the time we got out to sea it started to gradually heat up again.

We set sail on the Sunday evening. We had 2200 passengers on the cruise this year and we have travelled on this ship before. For the first day or two it was a slight bit rocky and not at all what we would be use to in Caribbean waters. Both myself and other artists that were on the ship would have different timetabled gigs to play during the week in the various bars/lounges situated on different decks on the ship. There was also a theatre where some of the more high profile artists would perform each evening. This year we were joined by Daniel O’donnell. I had never met Daniel before and I must say that it was a pleasure to meet him. I found him to be very nice and relaxed and a complete gentleman. It was very nice of him to take some time to spend a few minutes with me for a chat and he certainly taught me a thing or too also when I met him.

We arrived at our first Island stop on Tuesday morning. We were sailing in the Eastern Caribbean and the Island we first called at was Grand Turk Island. It was a nice small friendly Island and we got off and had a nice walk around. My only purchase on there was a hat to keep the sun shaded from me. I tend to burn quite easily so applying a suitable amount of sun cream was also very necessary. Unfortunately for me by the Tuesday afternoon I was coming down with a bad cough and my throat was becoming very uncomfortable. I had to do a long gig that night as another artist had unfortunately taken sick and could not perform. Thankfully he was ok later in the week but I couldn’t back out of this gig at this stage and just didn’t know how I might manage it but with the help of the two lads on guitar and keyboards who were playing with me I managed to get through it.

On Wednesday we arrived at the Island of St. Thomas. I have been to this island probably twice before and was looking forward to it cause I do know that it is a good place for shopping. Ok, if you know anything about the place at all you will know that it can be expensive but you will find some things like perfume at reasonable prices. And, perfume was what I was after. It was going to be Jennifer’s birthday on the Saturday so I had decided to purchase a nice gift set for her there. I was hoping she would like the one I choose for her and well, I am happy to report that after giving it to her last weekend it did meet with her approval. :)

Thursday we stopped at St. Martin. This is an interesting place. The people are very friendly and it was nice walking around the town of Philipsburg and making a few small purchases. You could bargain here in a lot of the shops also and, they would also except euros if you wanted to use them.

Friday, like Monday was a day at sea. Sea days are not so bad really. People might think that you would get a little closterphobic but there is lots to do on the ship. Music is the theme of the cruise and its all mostly Irish. In the afternoons at sea a band would perform on deck and you could relax on a sun chair or have a beer or swim in the pool while you listened to all kinds of everything Irish being played for your enjoyment. I did three gigs while I was there. I played on Sunday night and Tuesday night. Thankfully by Friday afternoon I had sufficiently recovered my voice to do another spot in a gig on deck with a band which was put together for the occasion. We had great crack just doing some off-the-cuff numbers and I must say that the audiences all during the week were fabulus.

Saturday was our last stop at a private Island owned by the cruise line company called Half Moon Quay. I decided to chill onboard with a book and not get off here. Later in the afternoon we had rehearsals for the final theatre show where all artists were getting to perform and say farewell to everyone.

And then it was Sunday and unfortunately another cruise was at an end. I am very grateful to Gertrude Byrne Promotions for having me on yet another All Star Irish American Cruise and while i am not cruising again next year I do hope to be back again in the future. Do pop over and visit Gertrude Byrne Promotions for information on the 2013 cruise.

Off to sea again

It only seems like a short while ago since I came back from my last cruise in Bermuda but later tonight I set off on my travels again. This time I am heading back to the Caribbean. I have been fortunate to have been a part of the Gurtrude Byrne All Star Irish American Cruises since around 2000. I have not been on the bill for every trip but have hugely enjoyed the ones that I have been on and I think this will probably be my seventh one. I am very grateful to Gertrude and her team for inviting me back again this year. I will be privileged to be able to get to sing along side some top entertainers that Ireland has to offer in different genres. Mostly it will be country music and Irish folk music that will be played through the themed cruise. As I consistently say on here I never like to take anything for granted and am just always grateful for the kindness shown to me by other artists in the music industry and also the kindness that is shown to me by the other passengers that travel with us. I am very much looking forward to seeing some old friends that I have made during my previous trips and meeting new people and chatting to them. I will hopefully blog on my return and let you all know how the week was and if anyone is reading this that will be joining us on Sunday do feel free to say hi to me at any time during the week if you see me around.

Glor Tire Final and Christmas

Well, Christmas is finally here. I have so much that I could probably write about in this post but I will try and keep it as short as possible. Now, if I could do that when I am having conversations with people that would be great but well, I can’t try and do everything right can I?

The last few days have been a bit mental for me. At the start of the week I was getting ready for my final appearance on Glor Tire which I have wrote about already here. It was just so nice to be able to get to the final week and to have the support of so many people. Last week I was lucky to be voted into one of the top two positions which meant I was safely through to the final show. If I had been in one of the bottom three positions as there were only five people left in the series I would have had to wait on a decision from the judges as to whether I could go forward or not but thankfully this did not happen. As you may have read, this did happen the week before so the level of support that I received in the following few days after that was just incredible.

Wednesday was just a real enjoyable day from the time I reached Galway right to the end of it. The voting lines for the competition closed at 12:00 so I knew while rehearsing that everything was done now. I was just going to do what I know I can do which is sing and if it wasn’t going to be for me then that was just life. That was my attitude all through the competition and I know people around me just couldn’t understand why I was so laid back about it all but what is the point? I could feel tension there some of the weeks with others but I am not into all of that and maybe I don’t do the competitive thing very well. If something good happens for me I just see myself as being lucky and I just should be thankful for it. Anyway, the rehearsals went well and I was happy and all good to go. For the final show we had to sing a Christmas song together and while I wasn’t entirely happy with it as a song choice I just went along with it and it went better than I thought it might. I had a great crew of people travel down to support me which was also good. A few people could not be there which was a big pity but what with Christmas coming up so near and work commitments it just couldn’t be helped. I was delighted to have whole family there including my granny. I did think that it was going to be a long day for her but I know she enjoyed herself and she was one of the first, if not the first person to get herself up to congratulate me. The show was more relaxed than other weeks also and we sang two songs each. Now, I will always be my own worst critique but I was happy with how I performed on Wednesday. Thankfully enough viewers liked what I did over the whole series and I was declared the winner. A friend told me on Thursday when the result was declared I looked as if I was on a delay system or something or someone was translating to me what had just happened as it took me about a minute to react. I was surprised. I had not built myself up to any sort of hype about it thinking I was going to win. In fact, I was a little wound up about it all on Tuesday night and someone made the mistake of phoning me up and well, god love them. When they didn’t kill me or something I don’t think they ever will.

Ever since Wednesday I have had nothing but lots of kind messages of support and good luck for the future. People are so nice and I am really grateful for all messages and phone calls and stuff like that. I am a quiet person when it comes to myself. I don’t like much fuss and probably need to just relax a little concerning all of that but that is just the way I am. I just get a little overwhelmed with it all but it is lovely of course when people are so kind.

So, Christmas is finally here. I am going to pop down town in a bit after writing and sending this blog post for one last present and then all I have to do is sit back and enjoy the Christmas. I am looking forward to it now. In some ways it can be a sad time of year as it does have some sad memories for me but when it gets to this time I do have to say that I like it and enjoy it. I am heading away after Christmas to celebrate the New Year with Jen and I am looking forward to that. Have a bit of stuff to carry but might figure out a way of getting Ralph to have a back pack or something haha. I do hope that everyone that reads this has a lovely Christmas. I hope that whatever Christmas means to you it is a good time. I would like to thank anyone that has helped me in any way over the past year and to all people that have taken an interest in my music or have just taken the time to have a chat and a bit of crack with me. I would just like to single out one or two people. I would like to thank my good friend Digital Darragh for his great and fantastic support particularly with Glor Tire and also earlier when he got the ball rolling and organized along with my sisters a small birthday get-together for me. Myself and Digital go back many years and went to school together and he is a great guy to know. Since that time of my birthday which was in May lots of good things started to happen for me and the rest of the year has been absolutely brilliant. I would also like to thank Jen also. She listens to me and talks to me about everything and even though I have to drive her mad at times with my nonsense she is just great. She says I do be funny a lot of the time but I reckon she is just being too nice. She has also introduced me to some great music in the last while which is great also. People like Joan Ann, Emma and Cathal have been hugely supportive to me also and I don’t mean to put them in any particular order. These are just some close friends that have always been there to help out or to just listen to me and at the end of the day that is what friendships are all about. So, until I write again here which will probably be in the New Year. Have a great one and enjoy yourselves.

Glor Tire, getting to the final show and other happenings

I really can’t believe that I am writing this post and also that it has come to this time already. Three weeks ago I wrote telling you that I was going to be on the first of the four final shows of Glor Tire for this year and hoping that I would get to do well. Well, I am really so happy to be able to write now and thank everyone for all the support I have received in the last three weeks and to be able to write on this final week and let anyone know that reads my blog that I am indeed in the final. There are a few people such as family and close friends that I should thank but I am not going to start putting down names either. People I am referring too and who read this blog will know who they are themselves. I did not get a chance to write last week cause I just got distracted with everything going on and trying to keep up the campaign both on twitter and facebook for people to keep voting and supporting me. Show number two was a close shave. Unfortunately I was in the bottom three in terms of the voting and only one contestant can be selected from the bottom three in the first three shows to go through to the next one. The judges selected me to continue on and thanks to all the people that got behind me this week I was called out number one to perform on Wednesday last in show three. This meant that my way to the final was secured and I could sing knowing that I was going to get the chance to sing in the final show where only the votes of the public matter. The judges will not have any influence on the final decision. There are three of us left in the competition. All I can say now is the best of luck to the other contestants and hopefully if I am lucky enough I may win but if not then I know that I did all I could and I will have enjoyed my time taking part in the competition.

To give myself a little distraction from it all today I went Christmas shopping. I have done some of it already but needed to pick up more bits today. We are doing a Kris Kindle or Secret Santa in our house which means we are only buying for one person each. I just can’t decide what I want to buy my family member that I picked out yet and will need to give it a little more thought. Put the finishing touches to another very important present earlier also. I love the amusement that I get when I bring up this present to this person cause they try or they were trying initially to guess what it was but they are giving up now. Now, I won’t tell them but its hard cause I am hopeless at keeping secrets at times but the build up to this is so much fun and its not long more to go now till they get it in their hands although the one thing I would say is that they will need both hands free to hold it.

Friday was the annual office party. I don’t know why but in the days leading up to it I wasn’t overly looking forward to it. I have some lovely work colleagues and I always have great craic going out with them and this party was no different but for some reason I just wasn’t as up for it as other years. Maybe it was also to do with the fact that I haven’t been going out much lately. Anyway, the night was great fun and we went to Kilkenny this year which was a change from staying in Carlow where the office is. Fair play to the two organizers Clare and Louise who did a great job. I was absolutely wrecked yesterday though but I think that is cause I am just out of practice with the going out and drinking stuff. Last night I am just not going to talk about cause that was just a bad finish to a good day but ya have to move on and just try and forget about it as things happen at times that you just can not do anything about.

So, once more and for the final time on this blog can I just appeal to all my readers that if you like my music and have had an opportunity to hear me sing then please think of giving me a vote or two for the final show. The voting lines will close on Wednesday at noon Irish time. The show will go out on TG4 at 10:30 on Wednesday night and as I have stated above, there is only one vote that matters this week. Please vote glor 7 to 53307 in Ireland or in the north or UK vote glor 7 to 81108. Thanks so much for all your support and I will blog later in the week to report on how it all goes on Wednesday.

One down, three to go!!

Well, it looks like I get the opportunity now to perform in week two of the eliminations of Glor Tire. In truth, I am taking each week as it comes. That is being totally honest. I am delighted to be able to get this far and I do have to also say that last Wednesday I did really enjoy my performance. I think I am just getting more into it as I go along. Once I get into a routine with the cameras and all that stuff that I am not always use to then I am fine.

We arrived in the city of the tribes people just before 2:00 on a wet Wednesday afternoon last. By a pure co-incidence we ended up eating lunch in the same caffay that we were in the last time. That was the one I wrote about in my last blog post. I rather like that place now. I didn’t hear anything musically that jumped out at me this time but its nice there. I got to practice with the band just after 3. Slight technical difficulties meant that things were running slightly late but everything did get back on track and we did have plenty of time before the show was recorded to get all things done. It was great that I had lots of support with me. I had some people from work and a bus load of 34 people that also came to support me. A big thanks to all the lads who were involved with the banners and stuff that were displayed by way of supporting me. That all means a lot to me. I know that the type of music that I am doing on this show is not to everyone’s taste but its wonderful that people are supporting me and encouraging me. The song that I performed “Morning Sun and Memories” is a song that I first heard maybe as far back as 15 years ago. Its one that has not been recorded by many people but I do like it. I haven’t had the chance to meet the person that wrote it yet but I do hope to meet him in the future and I do hope that he liked my version of his song. I always like to do a good job on a song and I try to remember that it has been written by someone and to try and be mindful as to not be in any way disrespectful to it if say you need to tweak things. This song doesn’t require any tweaking at all really. It just flows the way it is in my opinion. Anyway, it was good to me this week.

This coming Wednesday is week two of four. Voting lines are open till 12:00 Wednesday afternoon and I still need your support. You can vote for me by texting glor 7 to 53307 in the Republic or glor 7 to 81108 in the North and in the UK. Hopefully I can last another week.

Its all finally happening

This could be the last time I get to write on here about my experience on Glor Tire. I remember first writing about it probably around the end of May when I wrote about being asked to appear on the show. I am not usually a competitive person although I have taken part in competitions in my younger days and so if it had been a case of me having to apply to take part on the show I can honestly tell you I wouldn’t be here writing about it today and I wouldn’t have even thought of going for it. Even when Trudi contacted me and asked me could I be her chosen person I was still hesitant but after being persuaded by family and some friends I decided to go for it. I have said it from the outset. Its all a bit of crack for me. I can sing yes, but I am not like the best in the world and never want to be. It is you, or the kind people that are voting for me that will keep me in this competition and so if I do well it will be you that have to take the credit for a lot of it. I will just do what I enjoy doing and that is to be able to sing and play music.

Last Wednesday saw the last of the pre-recorded shows going out on TG4. I remember the day very well. I had to do three separate trips to Galway that week for recording and it was great that this one was on the Friday and I could relax for the weekend afterwards. It was the perfect sort of Irish Summers day. Well, it started raining before we left Carlow and it followed us all the way to Galway and continued to rain while we were there. I happen to like Galway as cities go. But I do not like trying to get round it in the rain. We had to be there for around 4:00 for a rehearsal with the band and then I remember running down the street trying to find a caffay where you could just get something simple like a sandwich to eat. Anyway, we found one and had something nice and I remember hearing Shining Light from Ash. Hadn’t heard it in years and it just got stuck in my head. I had to come home later and listen to it again and just listen to the lyrics and the melody which is just such a catchy thing. Ash are a rock group from Northern Ireland who I haven’t heard too much about in the past few years. I wouldn’t have been a huge fan but I can be like that with some groups or artists. I hear a track or two that just blow me away and I just have to go and investigate.

The recording of the show itself went fairly smoothly with no real hitches. By the Friday I was use to the drill of what to expect from the rehearsals and working with a band that I had never worked with before and also dealing with some fantastic production people. I was nervous as to how things like that would go for me as I didn’t want people being any way awkward around me because of me being blind and them not knowing what to say or how to talk to me about things but I am happy to say how nice it is that this didn’t happen. It will be a pleasure to work with all the people on the show again this week and for however long more I get to stick around for. The feedback that I received from the judging panel was very good and I couldn’t have asked for better. It is also nice when you have a well known and respected songwriter/singer on the panel and hearing what they have to say about you. I have had an interest in Charlie and his work for years and never had the pleasure of meeting him till the start of this series of Glor Tire. I have a couple of what I think are interesting songs picked for the next few weeks. It will only be the people that are watching and voting that will decide whether I can carry on to the next programme and get to sing them all or not.

A good reaction and radio interview

Ok, so anyone reading this latest post will correctly observe that it was this night last week that I wrote the previous one. I am not going to just write on Wednesdays either. It just came about that way. The object here is to try and write as much as I can about what is happening with me and my music so that people can get to know me and also to get to know what I choose to share about myself.

Anyway, before I continue with the point of this post I would like to thank those people that sent me comments on my last post. It was nice that you took the trouble to read and give me feedback. I welcome comments from people and at least I know that if you are commenting then I am not just writing to myself.

Mostly Saturdays are usually days of relaxation for me. Well, the mornings certainly are anyway. However, last Saturday I needed to meet my friend Stuart as we needed to practice for a wedding that we are playing at this Saturday. So, this meant an early enough start for myself and Ralph from Carlow.

In complete contrast to most of today, last Saturday morning was a lovely bright sunny one and I had debated bringing a jacket with me in case it rained but I was glad afterwards that I didn’t.

We arrived at Stuart’s apartment mid morning somewhere after 11:00 and got the practice out of the way for the Wedding. I brought along my new CD for Stuart to listen too. Stuart broadcasts an internet radio show every Saturday on hkc radio where he does a mixed bag of a programme. Sometimes he will have guests on the show with him and other times he just has features which he has prepared and then usually just bits and peaces of chatter about entertainment and things that are catching his interest at the time of the show. He decided to review my tracks on the show after hearing them for the first time. He seemed genuinely impressed with them and, knowing Stuart as I do I knew that the musical arrangements would certainly be something that he would observe.

After some lunch we headed into the studio to start the show. We had a late start for reasons beyond our control. I was amazed at the reaction of the people who listened to the tracks. While talking to Stuart we were both getting messages from the listeners saying how much they liked what they were hearing and just generally saying that they were enjoying the show. It was nice to have some friends listening to support me also.

Ok, so this particular interview was not the most serious one I have ever done and it certainly was good fun to do. Myself and Stuart go back a long way so when I sit in a studio with him and talk to him I forget that we are actually really broadcasting a show and that lots of people will be listening to it. Its just like two friends having a bit of fun really. I like that though. Its natural and its not stuffy or anything. I don’t know if we made the best of radio presentations and after hearing the podcast I said to myself, jesus, did I really sound as bad as that? Anyway, we all say things like that about ourselves when we hear back interviews or recordings of ourselves so it probably was grand. You can actually hear a podcast of the show by visiting Stuart’s site and look for the latest one. He podcasts all of his shows and shur why not check him out on hkc every Saturday from 3:00 to 5:00 in the afternoon. And that is Irish and UK time for anyone reading this from other countries. Thank you Stuart for reviewing my tracks on your show.

As I write, my site is starting its overhall and over the next while there will be changes to it. I will tweet and blog about all of this when it happens.

Go to Top